Toum is a naturally vegan garlic aioli/mayonnaise.
- 1/2 cup / ~24 medium sized cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice or vinegar or kombucha (I'll call this the tart liquid)
- 1 1/2 cup olive oil
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Glass vessel for pouring wet ingredients
- Rubber spatula
- Add garlic and salt to blender. Pulse/blend as fine as possible.
- Scrape down the sides and repeat the above step as needed. (Our blender couldn't get it too fine because it would stick to the side, so we repeated a few times).
- Add a teaspoon of tart liquid and pulse until you have a paste (same advice as before, you may have to scrape a bit; no need to go too crazy though).
- Start your blender at a low speed. While running, alternate adding a little olive oil and a little tart liquid very slowly. Stop blender and scrape sides as needed until you have enough liquid to keep it going and not throw up on the sides. Go slowly!
- Repeat the previous step until all wet ingredients are gone. Then you are done Remember, go slow!
- Original recipe
Last modified: 202309132252